In 2001, I took a leap. I up and quit my sexy job in TV to pursue a more meaningful career in the helping professions. It was a needed change, but getting there wasn’t all sunshine and roses. Overnight I went from HBO to the H-E-L-L of unemployment. I was living in New York City at the time, and in a feat of bad timing I quit right before 9/11. Suddenly there were thousands of people out of work, flooding the temp agencies where I was trying to stay afloat until I could start a new career. Former World Trade Center employees …Read More
I don’t like making decisions, especially about stuff I don’t have strong feelings about. I find it easier to defer to others when I’m not sure what to do. Because guess what: It IS easier to leave decisions to other people. It’s like letting someone else clean your kitchen. How easy is that? Making decisions all the time is a chore and a half … but it’s one that pays off in the long run. Think of it like exercising your muscles. Sure, it’s easier to let someone else do everything for you so you never break a sweat. Or …Read More
One day, almost 20 years ago, I was standing on a corner waiting for the light to change so I could cross the street. I was spaced out, not thinking about much of anything, when I suddenly heard a faint voice inside my head. It wasn’t so much a voice as a feeling. But it had a definite message. Out of nowhere, it said to me, “You suck.” Short, but not sweet. This was how I learned I had low self-esteem; I heard a bully talking to me, from right inside my own head! After the bully showed herself like …Read More
It’s ironic that it’s taken me so long to share this post with you, but hey, we therapists are only human. Scratch the surface of someone who writes about procrastination and you’ll find a procrastinator underneath. Okay, so now that I’ve outed myself as a some-time procrastinator, I’d like to share a recent post with you from my PsychologyToday.com blog. You’ll notice I came up with 6 practical tips for overcoming procrastination. If there were a 7th it would be, “Get it done before you go on a road trip with your friend from college.” Too specific? Maybe. But that’s …Read More
- Resources for the Stressed-Out
- When You Feel Empty Inside
- Left Out? 3 Survival Strategies for the Fifth Wheel
- Why You Shouldn’t Label Yourself
- When You Say the Wrong Thing
- Be Skeptical of Self-Help Articles (Like This One)
- Should You Self-Improve or Self-Actualize?
- What’s Your Philosophy of Life?
- Make the Most of Being Down in the Dumps
- Decision-Making Tip: Put First Things First
- 6 Questions to Ask When You Don’t Reach Your Goals
- Procrastination Can Be Productive
- What Does “Be Yourself” Mean?
- 4 Motivation Killers and What to Do About Them
- Never Waste a Day Again
- How to Deal With Anger
- Which Career is Right for You?
- Conversations With Your Ex
- How to Soothe Yourself
- 6 Ways to Feel Better Now
- Don’t Just Talk About Feelings
- Immunity to Change (Video)
- How to Stop Obsessing Over Things You Can’t Control
- Are You Keeping Secrets From Yourself?
- Take Charge of Your Life
- » Blog Archive » Bombarded by Technology
- How to Deal With a Persnickety Friend
- Video: The Courage to Be Assertive
- The Self-Compassion Cure
- 10 Simple Ways to Feel Good Today
- How to Assert Yourself Without Being Mean
- Go With the Flow of an Unproductive Day
- Overcome the Self-Criticism Habit
- 10 Steps to the Perfect “To Do” List
- The positive power of negative affirmations
- Step Up to the Plate and Think Like a Country
- Unbidden thoughts of catastrophe