Embarrassing moments can strike at any time. For example, many years ago, my brother and his girlfriend were enjoying lunch at one of those sushi places where the dishes come around on a conveyor belt. Whenever you’re ready for your next bite, boom! there’s fresh food floating by right in front of you. You just … Read more
As a therapist, I sit with many people who’d like to forget the past, along with its most piercing injuries and disappointments, but they can’t. The past won’t let go of them. Others have already forgotten huge chunks of their personal history, but they still feel stuck in it somehow, as if the past were … Read more
Who among us can honestly say they’ve never behaved in a passive-aggressive way? When I’m not being assertive, passive-aggression is my go-to. I figure it’s better than outright aggression, and I don’t seem to be wired for passivity, so sometimes it feels like the best option. There are hundreds — maybe thousands — of subtle … Read more
I’m not often bored these days, but I certainly have been bored before. I don’t like it. Not one bit. I’m curious about boredom. I want to know what causes it and why some people seem to experience boredom constantly, while others rarely or never do. Boredom feels bad, but it seems different from other … Read more
- Grow Your Child’s (or Your Own) Emotional Intelligence
- Calling All Negative Nellies and Debbie Downers
- On Caring What People Think of You
- 4 Tips for Dealing With Stubborn People
- What’s Behind the Fear of Failure?
- Emotional Regulation Is Nonsense
- Stop Sabotaging Your Own Goals
- Please Stop Bashing Your Ego
- I Tattle On Myself (There I Go Again!)
- Sometimes We Just Need Someone to Talk to
- A Surprising Risk Factor for Depression
- Is Your Comfort Zone Shrinking?
- Are You Struggling to Be Happy?
- “Stop Crying, Or I’ll Give You Something to Cry About”
- What Does “Be Yourself” Mean?
- How to Deal With Anger
- Breaking the Cycle of Invisibility
- Are You Easy to Ignore?
- What Is Healthy Entitlement?
- We Are Not Brains
- How to Deal With Negativity
- How to Stop Obsessing Over Things You Can’t Control
- Why We’re Ashamed of Ourselves
- Feeling Defensive
- How to Feel Whole
- Knowing Something vs. “Getting” It
- The Truth About Anxiety, Part 2
- The Truth About Anxiety, Part 1
- Self-Acceptance: Don’t Make This Mistake
- “I don’t want to be mean”
- Forgiveness Can’t Be Forced
- How We Change
- Overcome the Self-Criticism Habit
- Shame is a Useless Emotion
- The “V” word
- The Green-Eyed Monster